Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My first discovery dive, Mauritius



I did my first open water discovery dive today!

A couple of years back, I learnt basics of diving in a pool with the equipment and since then I wanted to do an open water discovery dive. 

This morning, both my sisters (including Babou who is an advanced diver) and I went to do a discovery dive. We booked it through TiCabo at flic en flac - who were awesome! 

It's hard to describe the feeling (as everything else lately). I was pretty nervous at the start but that soon turned into excitement. Once dressed in our wet suits, the dive starts off with basic introduction of how to use the oxygen tank, what to do in certain situations and sign language under water. 

The instructor Billy then took us all on a boat to deeper waters and basically we jump in. The first instance when I hit the water, I have to remind myself to be calm and focus on the breathing. I hold onto the anchor of the boat until the instructor comes in to drag me down (I had no weights on). As I made my way down, holding on to the attached cord and trying hard to equalise, it's a unreal feeling. It was my first experience underwater and there were coral reefs everywhere and fish swimming around. I am sure there are some much more beautiful spots around the world but personally to see this for the first time, my first thought was I can't believe it took me 30 years to do this. 

The dive lasts around 45mins to an hour - during which we go down to 12m deep, get used to the equipment and surroundings, learn a bit of buoyancy (I struggled with that. Bebou and I both tend to go upwards in the water) and basically try to be comfortable with the experience. I should admit it came quite naturally after a while. Bebou and I thought we did very well but apparently according to our instructor we made him work hard. 

During the hour under water, we palm to different areas and explore around a bit. Billy then takes us back up gradually until we get back to the surface and hop back onto the boat. 

Babou insisted on doing this introduction with us, despite having dived before cause she absolutely wanted to share it with us. I get why - it is a unique experience. Another plan for 2017: do my diving license! 

2 comments:

  1. Surreal experience to share with you two. Mool ena ene typo comik in the post. Will let you find it 😆

    ReplyDelete