Monday, October 31, 2016

Doha, Qatar

First stop on this trip is Doha, Qatar - the wealthiest country in the world.

I got a first glimpse of the glamour of Qatar in the airline. Qatar airways had a massive promo whilst I was researching flights and I bagged in a sweet deal on the flights to Kenya(return Bangkok). This is the longest flight I have ever been on, slightly more than 14 hours and it was pleasant. The seats are comfortable, service is excellent and it makes it all better to be in an A380.

Al Corniche
 I landed at 6am with great plans to rest up so I could go explore during the day. Jetlag kicked in (and maybe the fact that I slept like a baby on the plane), I was full of energy. So I decided to go for a walk at 9am. What I didn't realise is that as soon the sun is out, it gets hot - scorching hot.  made my way to Al Corniche, a lovely seaside promenade, lined with palm trees overlooking Doha bay. Admittedly the skyline of Doha is impressive, full of skyscrapers with modern architecture. But I didn't last long and after an hour of walking and hiding from the sun, I made my way back to the hotel.

Skyline of Doha

The sun goes down around 4.30-5ish, the temperature is more pleasant and the city becomes alive after that. I met a friend who currently lives in Doha and made my towards Souq Watif.  This market quarter of the city does not disappoint. It is a full maze of shops, alleyways, restaurants and has pretty much anything one could need. (Including a whole section with caged animals). The Souq has a welcoming vibe, given the aroma of spices and coffee around and the mixture of locals, expats and tourists all hanging out in the area. I enjoyed it so much I went to explore it some more on the next day.

Souq watif
Katara culture village
After the souq, we headed to Katara cultural village for dinner. Given it was Sunday evening, technically a work night, it was quiet - which I didn't mind. I roamed around Katara and visited the amphitheatre before going for dinner in a delicious seafood market restaurant. A pleasant first day in Doha.

Day 2 in Doha, I went to visit the Museum of Islamic art. If there is only one place you can visit in Doha, this should be it. The museum is set overlooking the skyline of Doha and showcases artefacts starting from the 7th century from all over the world: pottery, jewellery, tapestry, tiles, calligraphy. I spent 2.5 hours in the museum and could easily have spent more. As a side note, the cafe has delicious food with a view on the water (I am assuming that's the Arabian gulf?)

Artefacts from the museum 


After another nap (blame jet lag!), It was time to pack up and check out. I headed to Souq walif and the Corniche for one last stroll before making my way to the airport.

Fanar mosque
My version of things to note:
- Doha is very clean. Despite being dusty, there are people cleaning all the time. 
- They drive on the right side. OK, maybe not so much to note but was surprising to me. Which also meant I almost met with a few accidents when crossing the road in the start but also, pedestrians seem to have right of way in all circumstances. (*Shrug*)
- Weekends are on Friday and Saturday. The normal working week starts on Sunday. 
- Petrol is cheaper than water (not a myth!)
- A lot has been put into construction and the buildings are grandiose. But I does look man-made. 
- I personally found it safe. When i compare it to other places, there were no cat-calls and I didn't stand out as not being from here (which is great). It might have to do with the high number of overseas workers and tourists.

Qatar isn't exactly the country I would go out of my way to visit but is really good for a 2 day stopover. I ended up enjoying Doha and would recommend it to anyone for a stopover destination.
 

2 comments:

  1. You did so much in just 2 days! Looks amazing so far! Awaiting the next entry & pop yourself in at least one pic <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks Nikki. Having a real great time so far. More posts to come soon.

    ReplyDelete