Monday, October 21, 2019

Amazon Jungle

The next adventure after the Inca trail is the Amazon! We have booked into a 4D/3N tour from Puerto Maldonado to Tambopata. 

It's a mix of activities and free time, the agent who sold it to us made it seem very appealing and fun. It's peaceful and serene and the eco lodge we are staying it is right on the banks of the Madres de Rios. However I should admit that despite that the beautiful, hot weather and the delicious food, after 4 days here I am ready to leave. I am not a diva usually, but the 3 hours of electricity daily, lack of running water, no internet, 4am starts to see the animals and nothing to do in the heat and humidity has got to me - not to forget I am badly bitten by all sorts of bugs and my arms and legs are all red, spotted and itchy right now.

My badly bitten arm

The planned activities for the Amazon were nice but I thought they were basic and we didn't get to see as many animals as I had hoped (we met people who have suggested the Bolivian side of the Amazon forest is a lot better) but highlights include ziplining and canopy walks, kayaking on the river, fishing. We also visited Sandoval lake, monkey Island, a local tribal family, did caiman and bird spottings and drank beers in the afternoons. 


Our boat on the banks of the river

Tarantulas and creepies

The tree top walk

4am on river

Madres de Rios river

Sandoval lake

In hindsight, I would not recommend Tambopata or at least not the lodge we are staying at and definitely 4D/3N is too much unless you really like insects and creepy crawlers around. 2N would be enough to do all the activities and still have some rest time. Looking forward to some hot water and a proper shower and bed tonight before moving on to the southern coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment