Kia is living in Newcastle for a short while, a coastal town of NSW north of Sydney - so it was a perfect weekend getaway for me. I caught the train from Sydney after work on Friday night and enjoyed the easy 2.5 hour ride and got off at Hamilton station to start this mini holiday.We had a quiet Friday night with just a few drinks in a little bar 200m from her apartment. Kia is a social butterfly and she knows everyone wherever we go!
Saturday was the full day of fun. We had grand plans to start off with yoga in the morning - that didn't happen! Instead we settled for a walk along the wharf and made our way to the markets. I love market - it's the community feel that it brings and I find that there brings people together The markets in Newcastle were the place to be that morning - Lots of crafts and all very artisty. I came out of it with a lot of ideas for new hobbies (thinking Macrame and candle making)..


We then headed for a nice lazy brunch at Merewether surf club and an easy stroll to the rock pools. I thought the water was way too cold for a dip, but Kia, very bravely, took one for the team. After a nice laze around the pools, we headed over to the memorial walk. The Anzac memorial walk was opening last year on the 100th anniversary of Anzac and is a scenic walk over the memorial bridge with spectacular views over the coast, the ocean and onto the whole of Newcastle.
![]() |
| Memorial walk - Overlooking Merewether beach |
After the long walk, we lazed around the beach for a bit before heading back home for a quick rest. There was some really good 90s R&B on the radio, so that turned into a dance party (mainly me and Kia) - but I had a lot of fun. Following our "rest", we headed over for some delicious Moroccan dinner, where both Kia and her friend almost got picked up. :D
On Sunday morning, we headed to gorgeous redhead beach and had lunch in the cafe on the beach. A great way to end the weekend before catching the train back home.
All in all, a fun weekend thatmakes me wonder why I don't do weekend getaways more often!
![]() |
| Selfie Mode - with a twist |



No comments:
Post a Comment