Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Jambo from Kenya

Jambo from Kenya!! It's a bit hard to believe that I am here - with the whole family!
The family wanted to do something for mum's 60th. It took numerous skype sessions, intense voting and debate, back and forth analysis cause of the cost but in the end,  we made it. So, I am here with my favourite people: mum and dad ( no original names there), Babou and Milou and my younger sister Bebou (and no I did not plan for the names to be Babou and Bebou)

The reviews from Kenya were mixed. Everyone raves about the safaris but also warn about it not being the safest place. So we did have a bit of apprehension going in.
I got my first taste of Kenyan culture on the plane from Doha when this "lovely" lady tried to haggle with me for the window seat. Uh - no! But we ended up having a nice chat after and she was indeed very lovely.

Bebou and I were supposed to meet up at the airport. We set a proper meeting place - baggage belts. Another #fail for us though - we landed in different terminals! It took me around 30mins of wandering around before I went out to find the airport pickup person. It so happened that the president of Tanzania was landing on the day and the terminals were changed. So lots of confusion before I went  to find Bebou waiting patiently in the baggage claim area of a different terminal.
Nairobi from the hotel rooftop

We then headed to the hotel. The journey from the airport to Lotos inn and suite is 21kms and it took me and bebou 2.5hours! We got stuck in very bad traffic but luckily our driver was charming and entertained us. My view of Nairobi was that it's just another city - the main business area was full of well dressed peole going about their normal work days and as we headed to our hotel, there were kids playing on the road and people going about their daily routines completely oblivious to these random strangers staring at them. We went out for lunch and everyone along the way was smiling and talking to us - all very friendly. I might have been a tad over worried about Nairobi.. (that said in all we spent less than 2 hours out of the hotel)



Over the rest of the day, we met up with mum, dad, Babou & Milou - all of us chattering away and so excited to all be together after long. We enjoyed a sumptous dinner in the Chinese restaurant on the rooftop at Lotos inn to celebrate mum's birthday and called in an early night to get some rest and prep for the amazing trip starting the next day.

For the next 12 days, we have a set itinerary planned out that kicks off with the road to Nakuru. Stay posted! 

Note: as I am editing this post to upload, we are a few days in and I can confirm so far the trip is incredible! More to come..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment